Thursday, September 27, 2012

Incredible Portobello Mushrooms Fries

I saw this on The Chew while I was on MC at home.  Ah, the luxury of afternoon TV talkshows!  We love mushrooms at home and no one I know doesn't like shrooms.  It's up there with on my top 3 favourite food list.  Next time, when any friend who ask me what do I want for my birthday, I might just as well request for shrooms!
  I modified the recipe and cooking method slightly.  Instead of deep frying, I panfried them in my Happycall pan.  It's not because it's healthier, I just don't want to use up my oil too fast :P  I'm not shy of fat and you shouldn't be too :P

Ingredients
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
5 average-sized portobello mushrooms

For the Panko mix:
1/2 cup panko (I used Korean bread crumbs)
3 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese
3 tablespoon of garlic powder (unsalted, if you are using the salted ones, just cut your salt later)
A few generous dashes of Cayenne pepper powder
1 teaspoon salt
- Mix well

Steps:
1. Clean the shrooms with a kitchen towel.  Do not rinse or soak them!  Unless you like soggy fries and oil splattering everywhere, including very possibly, your eyes.
2. Cut into 1.5 to 2 cm sticks.
3. Coat the shrooms sticks with flour.  This will help in adhering eggs to them.
4. Dust off excess flour.
5. Dip in the beaten eggs.
6. Dip in panko mix.
7.  Pan-fry with about 3 tablespoons of olive oil (don't let it smoke!!) on medium heat.  You may need to top up the oil as it gets absorbed by the batter.

Oh, don't waste the shrooms stalks. We never waste food at home.  Trim off the exposed ends, cut into strips. Just dip into the leftover eggs and panko mix for frying too.

  Try it!  You can try baking it instead of panfrying.  I like a bit of oil and want to save on electricity bills too.  Oh this is my very first recipe posted here and actually, ever!






No comments: